Pages

25 August 2010

Green peas Sundal


If you've been to Tamil Nadu, probably Chennai and visited Marina Beach, you might come across vendors selling sundal. It's a handy form of chaat, comes in a paper cone, tangy, spicy and very tasty. Also, it could be the reason why you had to visit the toilet longer than necessary. Eeps. Ok, never mind that.


Sundal as a rule is made with peas, the white variety but my aunt who decided she'd do things her way went ahead and made it with the dried green peas that you get in the market. She also made it a tad non vegetarian by chopping boiled eggs and topping the sundal with it.


I probably tasted it the first time at her house and was instantly in love. This was better than the roadside chaat anyday. My mom also started making it during Ramzan especially and I had this recipe written down when I got married so I could make it at my in-laws as well.


Mom's made sundal today so I can't wait to open my fast and get to it! ( I started writing this in the evening but a hurricane called Azhaan happened so I had to wait till now to finish it)


Here's how you make it. Somehow, it's not the kind of dish that you make with exact measurements, you know what I mean? Or it could be that I'm being plain lazy here. :D


Ingredients


Green peas, soaked


Tomato chopped


Boiled potato


Boiled egg


Raw mango bits


Tamarind pulp


Salt, chilli powder


Chaat powder


Coriander leaves


Maida papads (maida kneaded, rolled out into very thin chapathis, cut into quarters and fried crisp)


Boil the peas until mushy-soft. Cook further with tamarind pulp, chilli powder and salt. Spread in a wide mouthed basin or bowl. Layer with chopped tomatoes, onions  and raw mango bits and dot with mashed potato. Sprinkle a little salt over the potato and finally top with crushed papads. Sprinkle chaat masala and garnish with coriander leaves.

5 comments:

  1. [...] very simple. I don’t have fixed measurements but you can nevertheless check out the recipe here. Posted in chaat, snacks « Oh what a kitchen! You can leave a response, or trackback [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious, all the years I've eaten sundal (chick peas, green peas and there's a darker smaller version of chick peas forget what it is called) I've never had sundal with raw mango and boiled eggs. Would be good for Saturday brunch too. Have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of raw mango! New one for me..must try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotcha. :) So this is where the Kitchen Klutz lurks does she?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shh OT!!! You're blowing her cover!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!