Pages

06 November 2011

Pepper chicken

I firmly believe that not everyone can make everything well, no matter how much they try. So if you are great at making chicken, you don't really have to be good at churning ice cream, or vice versa. So with that philosophy in mind, I've often consoled myself whenever a chicken dish goes horribly wrong. But when it does go wonderfully right, I thought that it deserved to enter the blog even though I'd professed that I would write mostly about desserts.

I've made this chicken dish before also and it won't win any prizes for innovation. The only prizes it would probably win is in simplicity. And that it can be cooked really quickly. A word of caution though. Since cooking is an art for me, I don't really use proper measures, just approximates so adjust according to your taste. And don't blame me if something goes wrong!

Ingredients

Chicken - 1/2 kg
Onions chopped - 2 medium sized
Tomatoes chopped - 2
Mustard seeds - a pinch
Haldi - a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1 tsp
Dhania powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander - a handful chopped roughly
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Method

Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds. When they sputter add the ginger garlic paste, fry for around 15 to 20 seconds, add the chopped onions and saute until golden brown.

Add the chicken pieces turning them over and sprinkle garam masala,salt, red chilli powder and haldi. Stir well and shift the chicken around in the kadhai until it starts getting cooked. Add the dhania powder and pepper powder and mix properly. When the masalas have coated the chicken add the chopped tomatoes and lower flame to let the tomatoes soften. Cover with lid and let it simmer for some time. Mix well and add chopped coriander and cook for a little more before switching off the stove.


I tried taking a picture but it didn't quite come out well so I didn't bother. If you're trying this out, let me know how it went or if I can improve it?

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes this dish so simply and so tasty. Her recipe has no tomatoes. Also at the very end she fries lots of curry leaves in a little oil and dunks all the cooked chicken into it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...should try it this way too Ayesha!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!