Pages

14 October 2010

Ice cream cake



 

Someone has gone and switched on the 'Go experiment' button inside me and I've gone a little crazy trying out a new recipe for each birthday that comes. Oh and sorry, Sidra and mom, I couldn't get to try a new one on their birthdays however.

For Azzu's 4th birthday, I decided to make an ice cream cake. Don't ask me why. Beats me too. It's not like we're in the thick of summer or anything. Or maybe I was just plain lazy and I didn't feel like baking anything. Which doesn't explain the batch of chocolate brownies I made on the morning of his birthday. Hmm.

Anyway, this is one of the easiest things to make, although of course, it didn't come out like expected. I googled for the recipe and came up with one I liked (read, one I found ingredients for without travelling too far).

All you need is

  • about 3 to 4 packets of either Pure Magic biscuits, or Sunfeast Dark Fantasy or Oreos, whichever is available to you.

  • 1.5 litre of your favourite flavour of ice cream

  • Whipped cream

  • Chocolate for garnishing

  • 1/4 cup melted butter


Oh and don't bother making this if you don't have a springform tin.I, luckily, happen to have one thanks to my bro who had brought it back from Hong Kong some years ago.

Method - Reserve a few biscuits for garnishing and crush the remaining using a rolling pin. Mix with melted butter and spread on the bottom of the springform pan. Keep in freezer for ten minutes. Keep the ice cream in the fridge for a while so it softens. Spoon it out into a bowl and make sure it's spreadable. Add a few nuts or crushed biscuits to the ice cream for added taste. Spread the ice cream over the biscuit base and then refreeze for a few hours until hard. When it hardens completely, top with whipped cream, freeze for a little more while and then remove the latches on the sides of the tin so you can lift it up. Decorate with remaining biscuits and chocolate curls.

My recommendations - Avoid the biscuit base because mine got fully stuck to the bottom of the pan. Also, the original recipe asked for us to remove the springform tin before adding whipped cream. I did the same and my ice cream started collapsing in front of my eyes. Also, a better idea would be to use a different flavour of ice cream on top instead of using whipped cream. My whipped cream also refused to peak and frozen whipped cream is not that great either. So if you're not having the biscuit base and not having the whipped cream on top...you might as well eat the ice cream straight from the carton. :|

Uh, no. The next time I make this one, I'm going to look for a recipe which uses cake at the bottom. I'd originally dreamt of having a cake base, ice cream in the middle and cake layer on top, making it an ice cream sandwich kinda thing. I should have been more adventurous and gone ahead and tried that. Nevertheless, the messy cake was fun for everyone except Azhaan who couldn't figure out why the cake was melting.

In the picture, I've decorated the sides with biscuits and topped it off with moulded chocolate that I made on my own.

 

1 comment:

  1. You're too funny Andy! Love the cake despite all of the misadventures. I was thinking of cake sandwiches too :). will post soon..:)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!